While it’s certainly possible for you to dive in for Museum in a Box with a Make Your Own kit, you might also like to consider using the full weight of our expertise to develop a Collection you know will engage and delight your audience.
We can take care of everything, from digitisation to content production, reaching into our amazing network of creatives and drawing on our experience.
So far, commissions have been made to support oral history collection, collaboration with artists, gathering community response, enhancing education/outreach, and broadening reach of collections.
If you’d like to find out more, please let us know with a quick Expression of Interest.
- Barnsley Museums, UK
- Bata Heritage Centre, UK
- British Museum, UK
- Everyday Muslim Archive & Oral History Project, UK
- Fitzwilliam Museum, UK
- International Slavery Museum, UK
- Historic Royal Palaces, UK
- Jewish Museum London, UK
- London Borough of Camden, UK
- London Metropolitan Archives, UK
- Monroe County History Center, USA
- National Justice Museum, UK
- National Museum of Iraq, Iraq
- The Scout Association, UK
- Smithsonian Institution Libraries, USA
- Swedish National Heritage Board, Sweden
- Tees Valley Museums, UK
- University of Melbourne, Australia
- University of Leicester, Museum Studies Department, UK
- Ure Museum of Greek Archaeology, UK
- Victoria and Albert Museum, UK
Have a look at the collections we’ve made so far.
How do commissions work?
Broadly speaking, making a Museum in a Box consists of addressing the following questions:
- Who will use the Box?
- Who is the target audience? How old are they?
- Where will it be used? How often?
- What do you want the Box and Collection to do?
- Are you interested in this Collection being available on the broader Museum in a Box platform?
- What do you want in your Collection?
- Are they photographed or digitised?
- Are there any rights issues? Can you assign an open license to the digitised versions?
- How will they be printed? (2D postcards or 3D prints)
- How many copies do you want?
- Do you want custom Collection packaging?
- What’s the story?
- Who will write it?
- Who will perform it?
- Do we need post-production on the audio?
- How many do you need?
The cost of each commission is derived from the box’s contents, who will produce what, and how objects will be printed. Once we understand what will be in the box that we can determine production cost.
What our partners say
Featuring Abira from London Metropolitan Archives, John from Jewish Museum London, and Caroline from GOSH Arts (collaborator on our London Borough of Camden commission)
“The best thing about the box was that you could touch everything, so you could feel it, because I think that’s better than just being able to look at everything.”
FREYA, AGED 8
who used our British Museum box
“This democratises the experience of art.”
ESTHER SPRINGETT, ARTIST
Collaborator on the Camden box
“We couldn’t be happier with the results, and the Museum in a Box team were fantastic throughout the making process. Their creative advice and practical expertise have been invaluable and the final product has exceeded our expectations.”
JOHN MURRAY, LEARNING MANAGER, SPECIAL PROJECTS
Jewish Museum London
“In partnership with Museum in a Box we are able to bring the content off the screen and into people’s hands. The visual, literary, tactile, aural, and digital elements transform I See Wonder and the classroom into a sensorial learning experience—sharing the Smithsonian Libraries’ collections with a new audience and fostering meaning making for students of all ages.”
SARA CARDELLO, HEAD OF EDUCATION
Smithsonian Institution Libraries
“It looks great, the postcards have come out really well and sound brilliant. Thank you so much for this, it has been a pleasure working with you.”
JOANNE KINGDOM, LEARNING MANAGER
National Justice Museum
“The box looks fantastic! Really striking and reflects the Bata brand very well!”
SCOTT SULLIVAN, PROJECT MANAGER
Bata Heritage Centre
We’ll happily discuss a commission with you at any time, so if you’re interested, please send us your Expression of Interest!